Juicing while pregnant is a controversial topic. Pregnancy takes twice more vital nutrients from you to build a healthy fetus, hence it is easier to recover the missing vitamins and minerals with the juice, instead of trying to fill the gap with food only. The downside is that some fruits are harmful while you are pregnant and you should be equipped beforehand with the knowledge of what to put into your juice.
In this article we are investigating and answering a crucial for future moms question – is juicing safe during pregnancy? We provide useful tips about juicing while pregnant and cover the topic of the safe and unsafe fruit with the suggestions what harmful fruits can be replaced with.
1. Is juicing safe during pregnancy?
First of all, we recommend signing up for an appointment with the obstetrician. A qualified doctor should plan your balanced nutrition to avoid intolerance and allergic reactions. The information we give in our article is a perfect complementary resource.
The best energy source that should be included in your nutrition is fresh fruit juices. Fresh fruit juice contains electrolytes and vital vitamins, that help to build new tissues and support the immune system. Moreover, high levels of electrolytes in some fruit can help to reduce such symptoms as nausea and vomiting during the pregnancy.
2. Juicing tips for pregnancy
- If you are suffering from the morning sickness and it is difficult for you to start your day with breakfast, then juicing might be the best option for you to get needed nutrients. Mix your juice with water in ratio 1:1, because fresh juice contains much higher levels of sugar when it is concentrated. It is important to know if you are not at risk for gestational diabetes or have high blood sugar. Since there is no fibre in your juice, sugar is absorbed twice faster.
- Next tip would be to skip juice bars because juices there are unpasteurized. Besides, we can’t be sure if cleaning procedures were done properly. All fruits should be washed carefully or even scrubbed, otherwise, you are at risk of becoming sick from bacteria like salmonella.
- Not only cleaning procedures are important, but fruits should be fresh and grown organically. The best option is to buy such fruits in eco markets. Fruits from such markets are grown according to the high requirements. These fruits don’t contain pesticides, which we don’t want to find in our glass.
- It is much safer to buy a juicer and take control of this process. If you already have a juicer lets move to another advise, but if you need any help in choosing it you can check out our article about it – Best Masticating Juicers
- Final advice is to store your juice properly. All needed information about it you can find in our article about it. Just remember, if you have masticating juicer, you can store your juice in a glass container with the lid for 48 hours, not longer. If you are the owner of a centrifugal juicer your time limit is – 24 hours with the same storing recommendations.
3. What juice to avoid during pregnancy?
The fruit which you should eliminate from your list during pregnancy is pineapple. Pineapples have a high bromelain level which is an enzyme that softens the cervix and can also trigger uterine contractions. Also, consuming pineapples in large quantities can lead to dehydration and diarrhoea.
4. Best fruits and vegetables for juice during pregnancy
This juice, which is also called “coconut water” hydrates even better than water. Moreover, coconut water contains valuable electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, and magnesium. If you are struggling during your first trimester from such symptoms as nausea and vomiting, coconut water’s electrolytes could help stabilize your system. 500 ml / 17 ounce of it is enough to help you avoid these signs.
Strawberries are full of antioxidants that help to support the immune system and build healthy cells. This juice helps develop the baby’s immune system as well.
This juice helps to boost your energy, the iron content present in beetroot improves blood and prevents such diseases as anaemia. Beetroot juice lowers the blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It is known for strengthening the immune system as well. This juice can be added to your routine as a breakfast supplement.
Apple juice plays a role in the development of your baby’s brain. It is also known to increase immunity and prevent sleep disorders. Similar to beetroots, apples are a good source of iron and prevent anaemia during pregnancy too.
It helps with the formation of new tissues and the production of red blood cells. Orange juice also plays an important role in building the placenta. One glass of juice per day is a good practice to get needed vitamins and nutrients.
In this article we have a review of the best juicers for citrus fruits :
– Find your best citrus juicer! Top 6 review
We hope you enjoyed our article and got the needed information. Remember to discuss every doubt with your doctor. In case of any allergy, your personal specialist will provide qualified advice. If you decide to add juicing into your diet during pregnancy, try to buy organically grown fruits and wash your fruits properly.
We wish you to be full of joy and vitamins during your pregnancy!
If you have any questions feel free to write them down in the box below.
Liked the article? Share it!